Cardamom, orange, almond and pear tart
Prep 40 mins (plus 3-4 hours resting, 1-2 hours cooling)
Cook 1 hour 40 mins
Cardamom goes beautifully with so many things, including pears and almonds. Baker’s flour, which is higher in protein than regular flour, adds extra strength and crispness to the sweet pastry here – it’s a seriously good pastry. Serve the tart fresh, with thick pouring cream, or warm with ice-cream.
260g baker’s flour
180g cold butter, diced
70g icing sugar
1 egg yolk
600g caster sugar
Juice and thinly peeled rind of ½ orange
10 cardamom pods, bruised
3 large corella pears, peeled and halved
ORANGE & CARDAMOM FRANGIPANE
250g almond meal
190g caster sugar
1½ tsp ground cardamom
Finely grated rind of ½ orange
1. For pastry, place flour in a bowl. Rub in butter until the mixture has a sandy texture, with bits of butter still showing, then stir in icing sugar and egg yolk. Tip onto a bench and bring together with the heel of your hand. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate to rest (1 hour).
2. Butter and flour a 22cm, 5cm-high ring mould and place on an oven tray lined with baking paper. (Alternatively, use a deep tart tin.) Knead pastry lightly to soften, then roll out between two pieces of baking paper until 4mm thick. Line tart ring with pastry and trim edges. Patch any holes with trimmings to prevent leaks. Refrigerate to rest (1 hour).
3. For spiced pears, combine sugar, orange peel, cardamom and 500ml water in a wide saucepan over low heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add pears and cover closely with baking paper and a plate to submerge pears Simmer over low heat until pears are tender when pierced with a knife (25-40 mins, depending on ripeness). Remove pears from syrup and set aside to cool, then remove cores. Meanwhile, simmer syrup over medium heat until thick, then stir in orange juice, adding more to taste if desired. Set aside.
4. For frangipane, beat butter in an electric mixer with a paddle until creamed. Add almonds, sugar, eggs, cardamom and rind and beat until smooth. Spoon into pastry case. Place pears on top and press into mixture. Refrigerate to rest (1-2 hours).
5. Preheat oven to 180°C. Bake tart until frangipane is golden and a skewer inserted withdraws clean (1 hour). Cool in tin for at least 20 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperate with syrup drizzled over, and cream or ice-cream.
Recipe and image by Eatable.
Do you have a recipe you’d like to see published?
For a chance to have it featured, send us a picture of the dish - either from a restaurant or one of your own - with a short description, where it’s from and your contact details.